31/07/2008

First post

Hi everyone.
This is my first post on my brand new blog.
I usually write on my main site that has been around for a while but I decided I needed a site specifically for my crafts projects so that I can expand a bit more on each project I make - or at least the ones I find worth talking about.

I'm still learning and I don't do anything that hasn't been done before. Still, I believe that each individual's personality, experience and taste bring something personal to the pieces we make and that's why people develop a specific style.

I don't think I have developed a very defined style yet because I love experimenting with different techniques and materials and so I don't fully develop a single line of products until I have exausted all the possibilities in my head. I don't know if it's because I get bored too quickly or because I get too excited when I find something new I want to try. Either way it doesn't really matter much. As long as I have fun doing what I do and I keep learning new things I'm happy.

Among all the stuff I've tried my favorite thing right now is making wire wrapped jewelry. I love how something as simple as wire can be so versatile and can make such amazing pieces. And when I look back at the first things I made and compare them to the newer pieces I'm amazed at how much I've developed. I no longer mark the wire as much, I have a better idea of how a piece will turn out before I start, how the wire bends, etc.

There's still so much to learn and try and I really need to buy an anvil because I can't keep pretending that I can move forward without one. Some pieces need to be hammered to avoid distortion, for example. I've got the hammers - nylon, iron, you name it - but I haven't been able to find an anvil in any of the local shops and it's too heavy to order online since the shipping cost will be more than the item.

No comments: