29/09/2009

Wire wrapped rings

aquamarine ringStill in wire-wrapping mode. I've been making rings now. I usually try to make adjustable rings whenever I can but this time I went for a closed ring band because i wanted to try wrapping it in half-round wire. It makes all the difference because apart from giving the ring a more finished look it also makes it so comfortable to wear - square wire is quite beautiful and it allows you to do wonderful things but the edges can be a little prickly when you first slip the ring onto your finger.

At first I wanted to use some 4mm saphires at the front of the ring but the holes were two small to accomodate the half-round wire so I went for these round aquamarine beads instead.

I made a second ring using a very classical design to hold a cabochon. I've used a wire net in the past but I wanted a cleaner look this time.

green cabochon ringThis model works perfectly for what I wanted but the measurements still needs some work. This design uses square wire instead of half-round to wrap the sides because it make it stronger but it's much harder to keep the wraps perfectly aligned and close together. I guess I need some practice with that.

Also, the wraps should have been further apart to give the stone a little more room to breathe. As is is, the side wires work as a frame and give the stone extra support and protection - it really won't budge and it's not so easy to hit the stone if you brush your hand against something - but it also cover part of the oval shape.

The curving of the wires took some work and it's still not perfect - It's easy to see one of the top wires is still too loose, but it's an easy fix. When working with silver I have a little extra room to make mistakes because I know I can fix them - tool marks can be filed away and so I can make tiny adjustments that would be impossible with silver plated wire.

These rings have a very classic look to them that won't appeal to everyone but I like them because they look luxurious despite being made with just a bit of wire and some pliers. It takes a lot of practice to get it right but when you do you achieve a piece of jewelry that is both beautiful and sturdy, capable of lasting a lifetime - or more.

No comments: